Uncategorized | Jun 14, 2015
Educational Consulting School: Making the Transition to Consulting
By Angela Watson
Founder and Writer
I so wish that I had the time to mentor teachers who want to become education consultants/ instructional coaches and offer personalized advice to everyone who wants support through the process of transitioning into consulting. The resources on this page are designed to be the next best thing!
If you’ve read my article Becoming an Educational Consultant and are asking yourself, “How do I get started?” then the advice here is exactly what you need.
If you’re new here–I’m Angela. I’ve been an educational consultant since 2009, conducting workshops and instructional coaching in schools, publishing teaching books, and creating curriculum resources. Check out the About Angela page for more info.
6 Steps for Transitioning Into Consulting and/or Coaching
I’ve created an 6 step online course which comes with a transcript, note-taking guide, and an audio-only version so you can listen and re-listen while exercising, driving, or getting things done around the house. In these resources, I share:
- 6 steps for transitioning into full- or part-time educational consulting
- How consulting and instructional coaching can go hand in hand
- Your first actionable step which you should start today
- How to create a long-range game plan: what to do next week, next month, next year
- How to find your niche and stay on top of educational trends
- 4 tools you should leverage as you establish yourself as an expert online
- How to build your social media presence (even if you’re working from scratch)
- Strategies for networking and growing your following
- Ways to create passive income so you get paid even when you’re not consulting
- How to get your first speaking/consulting gigs in your local area and expand into bigger markets
Keep in mind: Consulting is a VERY personal journey, and everyone’s path is different. You will need to follow your own vision as you go through each of these steps.You will also need to do your own research to put the steps into practice. For example, one of the steps is creating a blog/website. I can’t walk you through the process of creating a blog: that would take hours. If you don’t know how to create a blog, you will need to do what I (and every other established consultant has done) and research that online. There’s a ton of information that has already been shared on stuff like that.
What I CAN do through this course is tell you all the stuff that ISN’T all over the web: when in this journey you will need the blog, why you need the blog, and how to use your blog to establish yourself as an expert in your niche, sell your products/services, and book more clients. The steps are a framework to help you get your business game plan together. As you reach each step, you will need to rely on your own independent, entrepreneurial spirit to determine how the step will fit into YOUR unique business model.
After explaining the six steps for becoming a consultant/coach, I spend the last 50 minutes of the video answering frequently-asked questions, including:
- How to find freelance work for an existing educational consulting or coaching firm
- How (and when) to start your own educational consulting or coaching company
- How much to charge for coaching and educational consulting services*
- How to figure out if there’s a demand for your expertise & whether your services are valuable
- How to transition out of the classroom and when (or if!) you should quit your day job
- How to find a daily schedule that works with your natural cycles of creativity/productivity
- How to “do it all” and what it really means to be an entrepreneur
*I also share how much I charge for my services and the going rates in the industry—this is information you cannot find anywhere online. Trust me, I’ve looked!
Network with Other Educational Consultants and Edupreneurs
All members of Educational Consulting School have access to a private networking group on Facebook. In the group, members are able to to ask for advice, share their successes, and support one another in their entrepreneurial journeys.
Want to Learn More?
Just enter your email address here, and I’ll send you a FREE 8 minute video excerpt on transitioning into educational consulting.
The video answers one of my most frequently-asked questions: How do you do it all as an educational consultant? It’s just so overwhelming!
About twice per month, I’ll also send you other great free content to help you get started as an educational consultant and earn more money speaking, coaching, creating curriculum resources, blogging, and more.
So, be sure to sign up–I look forward to networking with you!
Click here to preview the course and purchase
Founder and Writer
If you are a teacher who is interested in contributing to the Truth for Teachers website, please click here for more information.
Your link to email you for the free video seems to be broken. Is there another way to get this information?
Having same issue. Can’t seem to enter my email address.