I was recently a guest on the Teacher Aid program of BAM! Radio talking about the dismissal strategies I shared on the Tips and Tricks for Arrival and Dismissal Routines page. I was joined by Jen Carey, Melanie Taylor and Kristen Vincent, who had some wonderful tips for making the dismissal process go more smoothly.
Click here to listen to the 10 minute program, in which we talk about:
- Why it’s important to avoid packing up too soon
- How to connect with each student at the end of the day
- Calm and meaningful ways to close out your day, such as closing circles
- How a set routine and agenda can make dismissal less stressful
- Ideas for incorporating a time of personal reflection for students
- How to keep track of various ways students are getting home
- Why it’s often more effective to do homework collection earlier in the day
I encourage you to check out the other topics on Rae Pica’s Teacher Aid podcasts or view/subscribe in iTunes. She’s interviewed a number of really innovative educators about practical classroom solutions, and there’s some incredibly helpful information there.
What routines have you created for dismissal? Please share your challenges, questions, and tips in the comments.
Founder and Writer
If you are a teacher who is interested in contributing to the Truth for Teachers website, please click here for more information.